Reporting on first semester activities of the active chapter during the recent Active and Alumni meeting during the Homecoming and Reunion Weekend, Brother Martin Fergus, Philanthropy Chair, detailed the list of non-profit and charitable organizations benefiting from the energies of the Iota Chapter. These include:
- Darfur Awareness Week in conjunction with Student Peace Alliance (also headed by Brother Fergus)
- Voter Registration Drive: resulting in 85 newly registered voters
- Red Cross volunteering in support of Hurricane Ike relief
- The Caring Place of Georgetown, volunteering in support of the local area food bank and donation center
- Lymphoma research, a fundraising effort with all-night volleyball on the lawn
Next semester, the actives have plans to support the Fisher House, a charitable support network providing housing and accommodation for military families. This effort is part of the Kappa Sigma National Fraternity campaign to raise $100,000 in support of the Fisher House.